<$BlogRSDURL$>

10.26.2008

monday movie madness with me and charlie kaufman 

Charlie Kaufman has a new movie out. That’s all we need to know. It doesn’t matter who stars in it or what the plot is, all we need to know is that Charlie Kaufman wrote and directed it. (His directorial debut) Seriously, it could be two hours of nothing but a black screen and Bill O’Reilly audio and I can still guarantee that its one of the best movies of the year. And even if I’m wrong, even if by some Chernobyl-like screw up it does happen to suck, it really doesn’t matter because we need to support this man. Consider it a non-tax deductable donation to save an endangered species. In a truly neurotic, classically Kaufman-like fashion the man is threatening to quit screenwriting. (As if he’s going to suddenly pick up a copy of “What color is your Parachute?” and realize he was destined to work in the world of finance.)

From the LA Times:

"I feel embarrassed for even doing this in the world. I put this thing, that is like me, my soul, in the world, and I just feel like its trampled. It makes me feel like I don't want to do this anymore. I certainly don't want to try to sell them, but I don't want to make them anymore either."He insists he's not kidding. "It's not a threat," he says. "It's just me trying to figure out what I'm going to do next. I need a job. I need to figure out what I'm going to do to pay my mortgage."

So while I may not be gainfully employed (sometimes I am, depends on the day!) I would like to make sure that Charlie is. Please join me tomorrow night (Monday) at 6:30 @ Landmark to ensure that movies like “Synecdoche, New York” continue to get produced.

Hugs,
K

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?